We’ve reviewed the potential Rick Nash trade, and the many points as to why we do not need him especially for the price tag (Logan Couture ++++) that Scott Howson seems hell bent on.
Here’s an indepth look at all the possible angles behind the San Jose Sharks acquiring the young winger.
Why the Sharks could get him
- Philadelphia’s once stout and deep defense that powered them through the 2010 playoffs seems significantly less deep and stout than it once did.
- Chris Pronger’s career may be over due to concussion symptoms
- Kimmo Timonen turns 38 next season
- Matt Carle looks determined to test the free agent market, where he could command upwards of 5-6 million
- The Sharks have defenders to spare after signing Brad Stuart, namely Douglas Murray who carries a friendly cap hit ( 2.5 million ) and plays the kind of rough and tumble game the Flyers love to emulate.
- The free agent pool of defenseman was pretty thin to begin with, but after the Sharks signed Stuart, it’s even thinner.
Why the Sharks won’t be able to get him
- Ryan Suter is sure to command most of Philly’s attention.
- Murray has just one year left on his contract after having a rough season a year ago.
- Do the Sharks really need a winger that produced less than Devin Setoguchi did, all while costing the team more and being more of a defensive liability?
Why the Sharks should NOT get him
- In three seasons with the Flyers, JVR has 99 points (47g, 52a) in 196 career regular season games.
- Devin Setoguchi had 82 points (42g, 40a) in 125 career regular season games
- JVR is young, and does not fit in the team’s “win-now” mode.
- Van Riemsdyk skated in just 43 games in 2011-12 because of a broken foot, a concussion, a strained oblique and a strained rib, so he ended up with a lackluster 11 goals and 13 assists
- At 4.25 million a year, he’s expensive for his production from a year ago.
Care to take any guesses at my opinion of Kevin’s recommendation? JVR is not a good fit here in San Jose for the upcoming season, while his youth and promise certainly are attractive, that’s the problem… “promise”
This team needs a proven scorer that will come in and put the puck in the net and eat top six minutes, not a inconsistent, injured young winger.
Did I mention JVR is currently injured and awaiting surgery?
So…. to make a long story short… JVR? I’ll take a pass… Thanks